How much physical activity for your baby?
|Physical activity||Sedentary behaviour|
Babies should be active several times during the day doing things like rolling, crawling and going outdoors.
Minimize sedentary time (e.g., sitting for more than 1 hour at a time).
Screen time is not recommended for children under 2 years of age.
Be active every day
- Playtime with your baby: Learning and growing in the first year
- Your busy toddler: Games, toys and play in the second year of life
- Screen time and young children
|What being active means||How to increase physical activity||How to reduce sedentary behaviour|
More tools for you
- The Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology has free downloadable log sheets to help you track progress. The Early Years (0-4 years) lists have examples of activities you can do. They are organized by age and have handy checkboxes for tracking each day of the week.
- The ParticipACTION Report Card on Physical Activity for Children and Youth (2018)
- Find recreation and community resources where you live.
Last updated: April 2020